The Great Barrier Reef Representative Areas Program: an ecosystem approach to protecting biodiversity, QLD
The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s Representative Areas Program is a review of the existing zoning within the Marine Park to further protect its unique biodiversity, while minimising impacts on existing use. Key achievements include: Protection of 33.3% (114530 km2) of the Marine Park within the worlds largest network of highly protected areas, creation of a network of highly protected areas that is representative of all 70 bioregions (habitats) within the Marine Park, most comprehensive process of community involvement and participatory planning for any environmental issue in Australias history and development of a visionary new Zoning Plan for the Marine Park that provides a framework for the conservation and sustainable use of the resources of the Marine Park, now and into the future.
- ACT NOWaste, Department of Urban Services, ACT
- City of Port Phillip, VIC
- Landcom Leading by Example, NSW
- LandCorp – Harvest Lakes, WA
- Municipal Association of Victoria/Stormwater Industry Assocaition of Victoria – Clearwater Program, VIC
- Perisher Range Resorts Environmental Management System, NSW