2007 Banksia Climate Award
GridX MiniGrid Tri-Generation System at Mirvac Vision Estate Glenfield- Mirvac in partnership with GridX, NSW
Australia’s first residential housing estate powered by natural gas was launched in south west Sydney in April 2007 using technology generating three forms of energy from a single source. Vision Estate – a partnership between Mirvac and GridX Power, is the first residential housing estate in the world to use tri-generation for its electricity needs with generators creating electricity, hot water and air conditioning from natural gas.
The environment benefits of GridX tri-generation include an immediate 33% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions compared to coal-fired electricity. Across the entire 16 home estate CO2 emissions are reduced by 256 tonnes/year, the equivalent of removing 60 cars from our roads. The energy produced by the system together with its heat generated and climate controlled water supply means an energy conversion efficiency of 80%. This is more than twice the efficiency of traditional coal-fired mains electricity and a more complete sustainable development outcome.
- Easy Being Green Climate Savers, NSW
- German Creek Coal Seam Gas Project Anglo Coal Australia Pty Ltd, QLD
- Minding the Carbon Store: A Global Benchmark The Carbon Pool Pty Ltd in partnership with Riotinto Aluminium Ltd, QLD
- Professor Maria Skyllas-Kazacos, AM and the Vanadium Redox Battery The University of New South Wales, NSW
- Telstra’s Energy Management, VIC